Welcome!

Here at Don't Count On It Reviews, you can read reviews from different artists from different styles.
Enjoy!

Friday, November 30, 2012

Flourishing - Intersubjectivity EP (2012)


Band: Flourishing
Country: New York City, New York
Style: Technical Death Metal/Post-Hardcore
Label: The Path Less Traveled

Last year Flourishing really made a big impact on the death metal world with their album The Sum of All Fossils. That album got so much good praise, and with good reason, for pushing the death metal genre into boundaries that were much more unique. I'm pretty sure that my review for that album is where I brought up the whole post-death metal thing as well.
Much like their debut full-length, these three new songs continue the band's evolution of death metal. This is raw and very amorphous in its form. The riffs are dissonant and strange while the drums are going crazy and the bass just lurches in the center of the mix. Combine that with an atmosphere that sounds huge but feels extremely claustrophobic, and you've got one of the weirdest releases I've heard all year. The band just push these ideas through various tempos, from spastic black metal runs on The Petrifaction Lottery, to the more plodding sludge on A Living Sundial. It really makes me think of Deathspell Omega (and I know I'm not the first person to say that) if they decided to go death metal. These riffs are just crazy and then you have to throw into the mix all these weird mechanical sounds and swirling feedback and the result is some totally WTF music. I will warn you, if you had trouble getting into either of the band's previous releases, this one will be an utter nightmare for you. So proceed with caution.
I really enjoyed this record because it was really interesting and it made me totally uncomfortable while I was listening to it. You're not going to find another record like this one, and if that isn't reason enough to check this out than I don't know what is. Definitely check this out if you're a fan of interesting and unique sounding death metal.
Overall Score: 8
Highlights: A Living Sundial

No comments:

Post a Comment